tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat producing (near) duplicate Catalina logs
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:24:08 GMT

Christopher Schultz wrote:

> André,
>

> I'm disappointed in your unwillingness to read documentation for
> libraries that you use. You wouldn't call General Electric to ask them
> how to cool a steak just because you keep it cold in a GE freezer. By
> the same token, don't expect anyone in the Tomcat community to give you
> a primer on how to configure log4j when the documentation is just
> begging to be read over at logging.apache.org. :(

I like the above analogy, but it begs for another one :

I don't own a GE fridge, but I (occasionally) drive a BMW car.  It is
quite sophisticated, and most of the driver controls (lights, window
wipers, radio, etc..) are made by Bosch or some other car-equipment
supplier.
Yet, when I want to know how to turn on the window-wipers, BMW doesn't
tell me to go read and understand the Bosch technical documentation for
ditto.  Instead they provide a nice BMW User's Guide who tells me
exactly which button to press, even though they don't make the
window-wipers themselves.

Granted, the BMW costs quite a bit more than a Tomcat instance (at least
as far as the up-front cost is concerned; maintenance is a more
contentious issue).
But then, both need users in order to survive, and not all users are
engineers.  So BMW bites the bullet and makes a nice and readable User's
Guide, which helps in making their cars popular to the masses.

What I am saying, is that I understand what you're saying, and I agree
that one can't do everything, and that people who develop Tomcat and
log4j, and make it available for free, deserve credit, a lot of it.
But for a mere user who would just like to use Tomcat, the documentation
of log4j (and commons-logging) is obscure to say the least, and an
absolute overkill when it comes to find out how to merely change the
name of a logfile.

Would'nt you think so ?
;-)