tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: disable directory indexing in tomcat?
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:54:31 GMT

Dave Girardin wrote:
> Does this request make sense? I ask because I can't find any information on
> directory indexing for Tomcat, although disabling it in Apache is easy
> enough.

The request makes sense if directory listings are enabled, but they are
disabled by default.

You need to look for the default servlet configuration (should be in
conf/web.xml but I would check every web.xml to be sure). There should be
something like:
     <servlet>
         <servlet-name>default</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.catalina.servlets.DefaultServlet</servlet-class>
         <init-param>
             <param-name>debug</param-name>
             <param-value>0</param-value>
         </init-param>
         <init-param>
             <param-name>listings</param-name>
             <param-value>false</param-value>
         </init-param>
         <load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
     </servlet>

The listings = false bit is what diables diretory listings.

Mark