tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat producing (near) duplicate Catalina logs
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 19:36:25 GMT

Rainer Jung wrote:
> André Warnier wrote:
>> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> [...]

Guys,

I hate to admit it, but it very much looks like I will have to eat my
words and be humble and deferential in the future to the "real Tomcat"
school of thought.

In just found this in the /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 script of my Debian
Linux system :

		su -p -s /bin/sh $TOMCAT5_USER \
				-c "$ROTATELOGS \"$CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina_%F.log\" 86400" \
				< "$CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.out" &
		su -p -s /bin/sh $TOMCAT5_USER \
			-c "\"$DAEMON\" start $STARTUP_OPTS" \
			>> "$CATALINA_BASE/logs/catalina.out" 2>&1

Might that maybe be the reason for finding
similar-but-not-quite-the-same logfiles for Tomcat ?
- one named "catalina.2008-06-12.log"
- one named "catalina_2008-06-12.log"

The above would explain why we find "catalina_2008-06-12.log" like files
in the /var/log/tomcatxx directory.  It seems to me (but I'm not quite
sure before I check the rotatelogs doc)
- that it tells rotatelogs to take "catalina.out" on a daily base and
archive it to e.g. "catalina_yyyy-mm-dd.log"
- and then starts Tomcat, re-directing STDOUT and STDERR to catalina.out

On the other hand, Tomcat itself creates another daily logfile, in the
form of "catalina.yyyy-mm-dd.log".

Now, as a separate follow-up question, to the "real Tomcat" gurus (to
which I humbly tip my hat and genuflect in shame) :

Is it possible to change this so that Tomcat5.5 would produce a single
logfile e.g. per month (catalina.yyyy-mm.log), instead of one per day ?
And if yes, where ?
And, by the same token, for the files "host-manager.yyyy-mm-dd.log" and
"manager.yyyy-mm-dd-log" and "localhost.yyyy-mm-dd.log", which are
created everyday and often remain quite small ?
Or is there a better way to manage this proliferation of logfiles ?
(and please, if possible, do not tell me that I have to read and
understand the log4j documentation for this, as I am a mere Tomcat user.)

And, as a second question : do we really need the STDOUT/STDERR of
Tomcat when it is running as a daemon ? Can I just replace some of the
above to redirect Tomcat's STDOUT/STDERR > /dev/null ?
Or would we then lose some essential information ?

Thank you in advance,
André

(And I am for now not even speaking to the wicked wicked Debian Linux
Tomcat packagers anymore)