tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Tomcat producing (near) duplicate Catalina logs
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 16:08:45 GMT
André Warnier wrote:
> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>
>>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>>> Subject: Re: Tomcat producing (near) duplicate Catalina logs
>>>
>>> Then one of the Linux mangling distribution authors intervened
>>> to explain why they were mangling and re-arranging things, and
>>> it all made a lot of sense too.
>>
>> Then get them to support the mess they create.
>>
>> Seriously, throw away the 3rd-party junk and install a real Tomcat.
>> The mangled distributions are simply not reliable, regardless of how
>> well-founded the intentions are.
>>

> Ok. Maybe if we phrased the question differently then :
>
> Hi guys,
>
> To Tomcat developers and/or members of the "real Tomcat" fraternity :
>
> under which circumstances /would/ Tomcat 5.5 under Linux create two
> almost-identical-but-not-quite logfiles,
> - one named "catalina.2008-06-12.log"
> - one named "catalina_2008-06-12.log"
> ... just theoretically ?

Just a shot in the dark:

One of them coming from Tomcat-Logging, the other might be a redirected
STDOUT written via a service wrapper. In many log configuration,
appenders are configured in a way, that log messages go to STDOUT and a
log file in parallel. In Tomcat without a service wrapper STDOUT gets
redirected to catalina.out (no rotation by default), with a service
wrapper it might go to the duplicate log file. Didn't verify that though.

What's the difference between the two almost identical log files (I mean
difference in contents)?

> And thanks for your benevolent help.
>

> To Linux Debian Tomcat 5.5 packagers (and manglers) :
>
> why does Tomcat 5.5 under Debian Linux Etch create two
> almost-identical-but-not-quite logfiles,
> - one named "catalina.2008-06-12.log"
> - one named "catalina_2008-06-12.log"
> huh, why ?
> and where did you put the configuration snippet that tells it to do that ?
>
> And thanks for your benevolent help.
>

> André

Rainer