tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: jk load balancing based upon ip address rather than session id
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 08:09:18 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Simon,
>
> Simon Papillon wrote:
> | when there are
> | several all servicing requests in a load balanced context, it doesn't
> | work, because the session ids from different domains may be directed
> | to different tomcat instances / containers, which then breaks the
> | assumption that the SSO mechanism relies upon (that all sessions being
> | held in a single container).
> |
> | The tomcat instances aren't in a distributed cluster and I'd like to
> | keep it that way.
>
> Isn't this what "sticky sessions" are for? You get randomly assigned to
> a server for your first request, and each subsequent request goes to
> that same server (unless it goes down, in which case you have to
> switch). This does not require distributable sessions.
>
> Does that not solve your SSO requirement?

I would think so too. I don't see any speciality w.r.t. SSO.

- you give each backend a different jvmRoute in server.xml
- you give the loab balancer member workers the same names as the
jvmRoute of the backend they point to
- you activate sticky sessions in the load balancer

That should be it.

Regards,

Rainer