tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Jconsole or JMXPROXY monitoring memory usage of the system
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:25:17 GMT

Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Liang,
>
> Liang Xiao Zhu wrote:
> | I would like to know if there is some way which I can monitoring of the
> | memory usage through of Tomcat. I mean, I have currently running a
> | Tomcat 6 server, and through that I want to know not only the memory
> | usage of JVM also the memory usage of the system.
>
> I don't believe the JVM has access to this information directly. You'd
> have to write your own native code to interrogate the operating system
> for this information. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this
> already exists somewhere.
>
> Note that this would not be a Tomcat-specific library -- it would be
> applicable in any Java program, not just a web application.

To offer a solution idea that would on the other hand be very specific
and non-portable, but maybe usable if this is for one server and you do
not find anything more elegant :
It must be possible in a servlet to execute a system-level command, grab
its output and filter it to get what you want to know.
I could tell you how to do this under Apache and perl, but unfortunately
I don't know under Tomcat and Java.  But I am sure that someone on this
list can give us a tip.