tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: Jk connector stops working
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:13:43 GMT
Andrea Di Muro wrote:
> Hi, I have a problem with the Jk Connector between Apache and Tomcat: when a
> jsp page uses a lot of memory and I get java.lang.OutOfMemory error the jk
> connector stops working. Even after the thread that was consuming all the
> allocated memory stops, I can't access the jsp pages via Apache on port 80,
> but I can access the same pages directly via Tomcat on port 8080. Is this a
> known bug?
> How can I solve this problem?

Once you get an OutOfMemoryError in heap space, you should really
restart your Java process. You can't be sure, which objects couldn't get
allocated after the initial event. Even if you think, that all is well,
it could be that your webapps produce wrong results. The same holds true
for Tomcat. After any OOME there is no more guarantee for correctness of
any type.

Depending on your TC version and thread pool model, usually the symptom
is, that the new thread needed to wait for the next connection couldn't
get created, so no more connections get accepted and basically your
connector is dead. By the above statement, there can be unknown other
problems though, so going on using the process is not safe.

Is your OOME coming from heap? What's the exact message, JVM version and
TC version?

Regards,

Rainer