tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: It¡¯s amazing, apache make TC performance decrease dramatically.
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2008 03:06:07 GMT
Bill Barker wrote:
> You haven't given your O/S details, but yes, AJP will s*ck big time on older
> Linux kernals with this test.  Older kernals can't handle having 1000+
> threads active efficiently.  You could try testing again with the APR and/or
> (experimental) NIO AJP Connectors.  These usually get the difference down to
> somewhat acceptable.
>
> However, using Apache+mod_jk just to increase performance is a myth, based
> on the state of Tomcat 8+ years ago ;).  It will almost always be slower
> with any current version.

Yet until there's a Java equivalent of mod_jk/mod_proxy_ajp load
balancing some of us are wed to Apache for that if no other reason.

I suspect it is possible to out-do Apache with Java in this capacity,
but no such thing exists today.

Of course Apache 2.2's handling of authentication against multiple
LDAPs, credential caching, etc -- all without extra work -- is also
pretty nice [Tomcat does not yet have this last I checked...], but
wouldn't by itself be sufficient justification for Apache in a primarily
JSP/servlet environment.

--
Jess Holle