tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: request for simplistic Tomcat 5.5 log config
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:54:26 GMT

Mark Thomas wrote:
> André Warnier wrote:
>> (This is Linux Debian Etch, with Tomcat5.5 out of the box, standard
>> apt-get install.)
> Without knowing if/how 5.5.x has been mangled by the packaging process
> it is going to be difficult to help you. The packaging process tends to
> play all sorts of games with file locations and default configurations.

Yes, it mangles quite a bit.  Tomcat5.5 is split (as files and links)
between /etc/tomcat5.5, /var/lib/tomcat5.5, and /usr/share/tomcat5.5.
I suppose the Debian packagers have their very good and smart reasons
for doing this, but it doesn't make searching config files easier.

> If you use a packaged version rather than the standard tar you limit the
> pool of people able to help to those running the same package as you.

Understood.  But there must be some logic as to where log settings for
given hosts or applications are defined, no ?

> If you can, switch to the standard tar.gz from one of the Apache mirrors.

That I can't, or my main system maintainer would be very unhappy.

Now, again, I see the following files in the /var/log/tomcat5.5
directory (that at least is easy, it seems to be the only location for
logfiles) :

To take the issue one little bit at a time :

1) I would like to know for instance, in which configuration file(s) one
would be likely to find out where it says to create 2 logfiles, one
named "catalina_2008-06-04.log" and one named "catalina.2008-06-04.log",
and how to join them into a single file maybe ?

They contain different things :

catalina_xxxxx.log tends to contain this kind of info :

MaxTimeOut = 6120

while cataline.xxxx.log tends to contain this kind of stuff :

Jun 3, 2008 1:17:58 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol pause
INFO: Pausing Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8180
Jun 3, 2008 1:17:59 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
INFO: Stopping service Catalina
Jun 3, 2008 1:18:03 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8180
Jun 3, 2008 1:18:03 PM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener
INFO: Failed shutdown of Apache Portable Runtime
03-Jun-2008 13:18:14 org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener

2) admin, host-manager and manager are applications.
If they each produce an individual logfile, I would imagine that it is
defined somewhere that they should.
I have followed the path /var/lib/tomcat5.5/conf/Catalina/localhost, and
in that directory I find 3 files :

All 3 files contain a <Context> element, but only in admin.xml was there
a <Logger> element. I commented it out.
Then I stop Tomcat, delete all logfiles in /var/log/tomcat5.5, restart
Tomcat, and presto, all files re-appear *including admin.2008-06-05.log*
?? where does it come from ?  And what was the <Logger> element doing
before I commented it out ?

In the other 2 files, there is no <Logger>. So why do these apps then
still produce their own logfiles ?

For example, if I consider the "manager" application, and it has no
Logger defined in it's "context" file
/var/lib/tomcat5.5/conf/Catalina/localhost/manager.xml, then where else
could it be defined ?

Thanks in advance,

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail: