tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: installing Tomcat Container
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:58:01 GMT
ramya lekha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had used Apache Tomcat server in Windows. But now I need to install Tomcat
> in Unix. The Unix server already contains Apache server in it. So, do I need
> to install the Tomcat container in order to run the Tomcat Server. I had
> already downloaded the tar file "apache-tomcat-5.5.26-src". Can any one
> suggest me what I should do to install Tomcat now..

Yep, Apache HTTPD is not Tomcat, so if you need a servlet container,
you'll need to install it.

Tomcat works perfectly well on it's own, but if you have a compelling
reason to use it with HTTPD, then that's OK too.

Delete the src tar file, you won't need that, download and unzip the
binary.  it's an open source java app, precompiled, so you can just use it:

  http://tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi

read the excellent manual, here:

  http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/

it's been lovingly written for your personal edification.