tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: [Logging] Tutorial Contribution
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:11:00 GMT
> From: Ole Ersoy [mailto:ole.ersoy@gmail.com]
> Subject: [Logging] Tutorial Contribution

Thanks for putting this together.  I have a few comments, mostly nit-picking.

> The goal of this primer is to demonstrate how to to log with
> java.util.logging (JULI)

This give the impression that java.util.logging == JULI, which is a bit misleading.  Perhaps
something more along the lines of "java.util.logging, as implemented by JULI" would be more
appropriate.

> Now you have a logger to create logging messages from you
> class CriticalComponent.

Typo: "you class" should be "your class".

> If you ran this code with a deployed web application you
> would see this statement
> on the console or in catalina.out out like:

Drop the "out like" from the end of that sentence.

> What if you wanted the output to appear in a file and on the
> console?  For that you need to define a 2 Handlers.

Remove the "a" prior to the "2".

> Lets start with a root Logger.  A root logger is a logger
> whose name is "".
> What's the purpose of it.

Terminate that last sentence with a question mark, not a period.

> Now remember that once something gets logged by myLogger,
> it's handed over to myLogger's Handlers.  But what if we
> never assigned any Handlers to myLogger.  How would it get
> it's Handler?

The first "it's" above is correct, as a contraction of "it is"; the second one is not, since
the possessive "its" does not contain an apostrophe.  There are several other occurrences
of the same typo, which I won't list.

> .level = OFF

Might want to also mention the other pseudo-level ALL for the serious tree-killers.

> How do I customize the location of the tomcat logging.properies file?

"logging.properies" should be "logging.properties".

> Example:
> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=/etc/tomcat/logging.properties
>
> Note that this property is not set when running catalina.sh.
>
> The reason for this is that the download provided by the
> Apache Tomcat project knows where the file is already.

Not true - the script does set the property if the conf/logging.properties file exists.  See
lines 182-185 of the 6.0.16 catalina.sh script.  It also set java.util.logging.manager to
point to the JULI LogManager implementation.

This is a superb addition to the Tomcat documentation set; thanks again for creating it.

 - Chuck