tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: [Logging] Facility Specific Properties
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:17:54 GMT
> From: Rainer Jung [mailto:rainer.jung@kippdata.de]
> Subject: Re: [Logging] Facility Specific Properties
>
> > if (myLogger.getLevel() >= Level.WARNING)
> > {
> >     myLogger.warn('This is a warning'); }
>
> More precisely:
>
> if (log.isDebugEnabled())
>     log.debug(SOMETHING);

I think one of the confusing things about the current logging environment is the lack of documentation
about the mapping between commons-logging and java.util.logging levels and APIs, as implemented
by JULI.  For example, c-l has six logging levels, whereas as j.u.l has seven; some of the
mappings are obvious, some are not.  (Yes, I did find the mappings in the DirectJDKLog.java
source.)

In the above snippet from the last two e-mails, Ole uses java.util.logging APIs, and Rainer
responds with commons-logging; it's not clear when it's appropriate to use one or the other.

 - Chuck