tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:19:33 GMT
> From: Shashidhar Rampally [mailto:shashi.rampally@gmail.com]
> Subject: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
>
> I need to increase the heap space by adding -Xms128m -Xmx512m
> to either JAVA_OPTS or CATALINA_OPTS environment variable

That won't help if you're running out of PermGen space.

> In my installation I do not have a catalina.bat file at all!

For some inexplicable reason, the .exe distribution does not include the scripts, but the
.zip one does.  Regardless, since you're running Tomcat as a service, you can adjust the heap
sizes and other JVM parameters with the tomcat5w.exe program.

Here's a posting from earlier today about the same problem:

This is a common problem, so reading the FAQ:
   http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory
is always a good idea, as would searching the archives:
   http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user

You may have a memory leak in your applications that's leaving class references lying around,
preventing them from being discarded via garbage collection.  Alternatively, if you really
are running out of PermGen space, you'll have to increase it, which of course takes away from
the real memory available for the rest of the heap.

 - Chuck