tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.5.26 + JDK 6_05 - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen Space
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:50:09 GMT
> From: Estevam Henrique Portela Mota e Silva
> []
> Subject: Tomcat 5.5.26 + JDK 6_05 -
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen Space
> Good Afternoon,
> Memory (Initial memory pool: 512mb and Maximum memory pool: 1024mb)
> Server:
>      --> Gigabyte, Core 2 Duo and Memory 2 gb (motherboard

If you only have 1 GB of real memory, you'll need to reduce the JVM heap size to avoid page
thrashing - it's not pretty when it happens.

> [ERROR] RequestExceptionHandler Processing of request failed
> with uncaught exception: PermGen space
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen Space
> How resolved?

This is a common problem, so reading the FAQ:
is always a good idea, as would searching the archives:

You may have a memory leak in your applications that's leaving class references lying around,
preventing them from being discarded via garbage collection.  Alternatively, if you really
are running out of PermGen space, you'll have to increase it, which of course takes away from
the real memory available for the rest of the heap.

Your current platform would have to be considered a toy these days, since even my 5-year old
laptop has 2 GB of memory on it.

 - Chuck

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail: