tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.0.28 memory usage - garbage collection
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 14:08:39 GMT
> From: tootbatoot [mailto:azfar.zeeshan@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat 5.0.28 memory usage - garbage collection
>
> When I put load on it via my webapp - I can see the memory
> allocated to the process going up (in task manager) but
> when I kill the session of the webapp (i.e. remove the load)
> it does not come down. Should not the tomcat process release
> memory when there is no load ?

In a word, no.  On most JVMs, once the virtual memory for the heap is allocated due to peak
load, it stays allocated.  However, you didn't tell us if you're looking at real or virtual
memory numbers; the real memory can fluctuate simply because the OS chooses to page some of
it out.

You also didn't bother to tell us the JDK and OS you're using (likely some form of Windows),
and your're running on an unsupported version of Tomcat.

 - Chuck