tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ed Marshall" <emarsh...@Cherrycorp.com>
Subject RE: User Authentication - IE doesn't recognize mime type (pdf,xls)of files in protected directory
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:45:42 GMT
Thanks so much Chuck.  Eliminating the no-cache headers did the job.

An interesting footnote: Adding the following line to Context.xml within
META-INF worked as expected.
     <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.FormAuthenticator"
disableProxyCaching="false" />

However, when I copy the same code from META-INF/Context.xml to
conf/server.xml (of course adding docBase and path) and then delete
META-INF/Context.xml, the "Valve" has no affect on the Headers.

I expected the results to have been the same.  Just curious.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!
Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Caldarale, Charles R [mailto:Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 6:47 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: RE: User Authentication - IE doesn't recognize mime type
(pdf,xls)of files in protected directory

> From: Ed Marshall [mailto:emarshall@Cherrycorp.com]
> Subject: RE: User Authentication - IE doesn't recognize mime
> type (pdf,xls)of files in protected directory
>
> But when I'm already logged in, IE will never display the pdf.
> So it seems that Tomcat is behaving differently in each case.

It's not Tomcat - it's Microsoft's less than brilliant interpretation of
the HTTP RFC, coupled with IE's erratic implementation.  You need to get
rid of the no-cache headers; this should let IE open the file in situ.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential information intended only for the
use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copy or use of this
e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us
immediately at the e-mail address above and delete the original message.  Thank you.