tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: getAttribute(null)?
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:51:13 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Leffingwell, Jonathan R CTR FRCSE, JAX 7.2.2"
<jonathan.leffingwell.ctr@navy.mil>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:44 PM
Subject: getAttribute(null)?

I have the following code that worked in Tomcat 5.0, but doesn't work in
Tomcat 5.5.26:

String formName = mapping.getAttribute();   // mapping is a variable of
type ActionMapping. In this scenario, formName is null.

if (null != session.getAttribute(formName)) {
session.removeAttribute(formName);
}

formName is null.  In Tomcat 5.0.x, no exception was thrown and
processing continued (as if passing a null argument to getAttribute
simply returned NULL).  In Tomcat 5.5.26, a ServletException is thrown
(with a NullPointerException).

I know how to code a work-around (and have done so), but is this
considered a bug in Tomcat?

======TEST======
This code
            HttpSession session = request.getSession(true);
            Object obj = session.getAttribute(null);

Raises this exception

 java.lang.NullPointerException
 java.util.Hashtable.get(Unknown Source)
 org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSession.getAttribute(StandardSession.java:1024) org.apache.catalina.session.StandardSessionFacade.getAttribute(StandardSessionFacade.java:110)
NewServlet.processRequest(NewServlet.java:29) NewServlet.doGet(NewServlet.java:52) javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:690)
javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)The Hash Table is throwing it...I'm
too young to remember 5 ;)But you maybe right, its possible that the internals used to use
a Vector...and when Java introduced new collections, it changed.You may have spotted a little
regression issue, but probably something thathasnt caught too many people.