tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Johnny Kewl" <j...@kewlstuff.co.za>
Subject Re: tomcat 5.5 loads a blank page
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 08:52:37 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Posner" <cuco2772@gmail.com>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 3:37 AM
Subject: tomcat 5.5 loads a blank page

> Hi,
> I'm new to this newsgroup and have a vexing problem.
> I run tomcat using the startup script, for ex. /usr/share/tomcat5.5/bin
> startup.sh and everything startsup with no errors, ie:
>
> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat5.5
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat5.5/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun
>
> but if I go to localhost:8180 a blank page is displayed with no errors in
> catalina.out.
> Here's the output from catalina.out when I startup tomcat as above:
>
> root@coati:~# tail -f /usr/share/tomcat5.5/logs/catalina.out
> Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol start
> INFO: Starting Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8180
> Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket init
> INFO: JK: ajp13 listening on /0.0.0.0:8009
> Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.jk.server.JkMain start
> INFO: Jk running ID=0 time=0/58  config=null
> Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.catalina.storeconfig.StoreLoader load
> INFO: Find registry server-registry.xml at classpath resource
> Jun 23, 2008 5:56:50 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
> INFO: Server startup in 599 ms
>
> As I said I get the blank page when going to localhost:8180, and nothing
> added to catalina.out, so no help in figuring this problem out.
>
> As a comparison, I get the normal index.html page displayed when I go to
> /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/bin and run the startup script
> there
> and go to localhost:8080. (i have both tomcats installed. I'll explain
> more
> on this later)
> I did a search and there is actually no index.html page in my tomcat5.5
> installation. I installed this version from the ubuntu(gutsy)
> repositories
> using apt-get.
> The /usr/share/tomcat5.5/webapps directory is empty there whereas the
> other,
> /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14/webapps/ROOT/index.html, isn't.
> Not sure this matters, though.
> It seems like the home directories for the 2 tomcat installations are set
> up
> a bit differently:
>
> root@coati:~# ls /usr/share/tomcat5.5/
> bin  common  conf  doc  logs  server  shared  temp  webapps  work
>
> versus
>
> root@coati:~# ls /usr/local/tomcat/apache-tomcat-6.0.14
> bin   lib      logs    RELEASE-NOTES  temp     work
> conf  LICENSE  NOTICE  RUNNING.txt    webapps
>
> Now to the reason I'm using tomcat5.5 instead of the latest version.  I'm
> trying to do web development using eclipse. I had to install eclipse using
> apt-get also.
> (After a week of trying to get the latest version of eclipse working from
> manual download, I gave up)
> So I have eclipse 3.2.2 WTP with tomcat5.5 and I have a sample webapp that
> [...]

Adam, we dont use Ubuntu, the guru's here use debian, but as policy we never
install the JDK nor the Tomcat that comes with linux. They not quite to
same, and it depends on what the distribution felt like doing to it.

You can get the 5.5.25 version from the download site, I would just grab it
an unpack it to your installed location... look at the Archive pages
http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-5/

ie... do the apt-get or whatever ubuntu does, then put the real tomcat over
the other one.
If the JRE doesnt work, get Suns JRE... but if eclipse is working, then prob
ok, but if for example you where going to try Netbeans, then I would make
sure that its on Suns JRE...
Its just linux dists, they all make a different lucky packet ;)

Good luck ;)

The only real POJO Application Server.