tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Gregor Schneider" <>
Subject Re: User-JDBC-Realm: User case-sensitiv?
Date Sat, 17 May 2008 09:09:26 GMT
Hi Todd,

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:23 PM, Boyd, Todd M. <> wrote:
> You can use "WHERE x LIKE condition" to perform a case-sensitive search
> without modifying the structure of the table(s) involved by using the
> BINARY keyword.

well, I could so so - however, I'm talking about Tomcat's
Authentication (User-Realm).
Since I don't want to patch Tomcat, I had to change the tables.

Sure, there are a lot of possible solutions, however, it would ease up
things if MySQL would behave as expected by the "common programmer".

Just an example:

What, if you create a databse-independent software (as what we do),
that runs on any database providing a JDBC 2.0-compliant driver and
supports SQL 2.0-standard?

AFAIK DB2 doesn't know the binary attribute, not sure about Oracle,
Postgres, Informix etc.

So what you'd have to to then is evaluate every database for those
kind of "features" and provide different create-scripts for each
database providing such a "feature".

Or,  even worse, you'll have to write code within your application
handling each such "feature" (if db == mysql soSomethingElse)

Folks, from the from the interperability-point-of-view I guess MySQL
is behaving badly here since it just doesn't stick to one of the
principles of computing: A != a

No problem if MySQL would offer this behaviour as a feature (i.e.
create table foo (bar varchar(10) NOCASE)), but how they did it ist
just the wrong way round, IMHO.

Anyways, I guess we're getting slightly off topic here. To get back to
the topic, I'm wondering how many percent of the Tomcat-users using a
MySQL are aware of the fact that the user-id is not case-sensitive,
when they use a JDBC-realm as their user-database.

gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2
gpgp-key available @

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: