tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Milanez, Marcus" <Marcus.Mila...@diebold.com>
Subject RES: Once again, clear text passwords in context.xml files
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 16:59:35 GMT
Filip thanks for your reply,

>> 1. make sure tomcat runs as an account that can't login
Right, that is done

>> 2. make any file that contains secure information readonly, and readable only by
the tomcat user
Done too

>> if someone gets onto your machine as an super user, you have bigger problem than
the password being in clear text

That is the answer everyone gives in tomcat forums all over the internet, so it seems to me
that no possible solution is available. On the other hand, is it right to stay behind a possible
security fault (malicious super user performing login) in order to say I'll not correct known
security issues in my application? The thing is I'm not responsible for the servers but the
ones who are, keep arguing that this is a crictical security problem. Are they seeing a big
problem in a small one?

Thanks a lot!

Marcus