tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Sameer Naik <>
Subject Re: Multiple Hits to same JSP
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 21:16:10 GMT
We just had one more incident today, 3000 hits total in 5 minutes! User agent in MSIE 7.0.
We have a load balancer and 3 apache servers behind it. Since Apache is logging the request
in access, for sure, it is not generating flood itself. Then the culprit could be load balancer
hardware, user's buggy browser or some proxy server in between.

>From the access logs, the request seems to be coming from genuine users. User's are either
closing there browsers (no hits for some period) or logging out and trying again. The same
page works fine when they do that.

We are analyzing logs to come up with a pattern w.r.t. user agent.

We cannot pat ourselves for serving so many requests, because every such time, tomcat thread
count (set to 100) maxes out (we get a page), each thread borrows DB connection from pool,
DB cache size goes to 100 and due to a bug/feature in Oracle connection (round robin feature
for checking out connection), each one never gets cleaned up. so that increases sessions on
oracle database server.

had a similar experience when I run the FireBug extension in FireFox.
but there was not as many as 500 requests more like 20 under some
/Per Jonsson
Christopher Schultz skrev:
Alan Chaney wrote:
| Have you checked to see whether or not they are real requests - that
| coming from the web. If they are there's nothing anyone on this list
| do...
Not entirely. It's possible to write a throttling filter that might be
able to reject some of these requests... the only question is if it is
even useful to do in the first place. The processing and memory
requirements might outweigh the benefits of rejecting the requests in
the first place.
Since all responses are 200 (success), you might just smile, say "hey,
it's great that my web server can handle so many responses so fast with
no errors" and sit back and relax.
- -chris