tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Unable to display UK Pound Sign
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 15:31:16 GMT
> From: Stephen Nelson-Smith [mailto:sanelson@gmail.com]
> >  What encoding are you using?
>
> The config files all used UTF-8.  I've changed them to ISO8859-1 and
> restarted Tomcat, but I see the same behaviour.

What do you mean by "used UTF-8"?  Remember that there are:

- The encoding in which the config file is written;

- The encoding specified within the config file for things like connector URL encoding, page
encodings and the like.

Changing the encoding in the <?xml... at the top of the file changes the first.  You want
to change the second.

> >  You can go hunting for all the places in which the
> encoding could be specified
>
> At the Tomcat level?

Yes.

> > or you can tell the developers to use the HTML entitiy
> "&pound;" instead of a direct reference, which bypasses the
> problem by keeping all the characters encoded the same way
> whether ISO8859-1 or UTF-8 is used.
>
> I will also make that recommendation.

If they're writing XHTML rather than HTML, I'm not sure that entity exists - they need to
check.  That may be why they're writing the value directly, although &#163; would also
do the job.

                - Peter