tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject [OT] RE: Seeking advice as to what platform/framework to use for developing a tourism/tourist attractions web site
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 13:48:16 GMT
> From: Lyallex [mailto:lyallex@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Seeking advice as to what platform/framework to
> use for developing a tourism/tourist attractions web site
>
> Greetings
>
> I guess given the lack of replies that most think this is too OT for
> this list, well I suppose it is but I couldn't resist answering.
>
> "Don't Do It"
>
> That is, don't use any framework at all.

Many of the OP's requirements are for existing tools.  Blog, shopping cart and the like.
Developing those from scratch is rather like gathering the coal, clay and iron ore to make
your own oven to smelt your own iron ore to make your own axe to cut down your own tree to
make your own log cabin.  You *can*, and you get a lot of satisfaction from it, but it's a
lot easier to spend less time working for someone else, then rent a house.  Sure, it might
not be quite what you'd build yourself... but you get most of what you want a *lot* quicker.

So, to the OP, I'd say: compare the big systems that you mention.  Take a tour of each.  Install
a few.  You might spend a couple of weeks, maybe a couple of months doing this.  Then pick
one and go for it.  You'll have your system running - and customers using it - while Lyallex
is still building the data access layer for the no-framework one.

                - Peter