tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Steele <rste...@archer-group.com>
Subject Re: Status and Tomcat Manager links result in 404's
Date Wed, 28 May 2008 21:26:54 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Ryan Steele [mailto:rsteele@archer-group.com]
>> Subject: Status and Tomcat Manager links result in 404's
>>
>> I've got a Tomcat 5.5.25 installation up and running for the
>> most part.
>>

> Platform?
> JRE/JDK version?

FC6 and 1.4.2, respectively.  They are outdated, but I needed to
duplicate a client's environment for our developers to write code that
would work on their boxes.

> Do you have a real Tomcat installed, or a 3rd-party repackaged piece of junk?  If the
latter, download and install a proper one from http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi.

Packaged.  And, folks are already developing on it - I don't want to
pull the rug out from underneath them.  But I do appreciate the wise
words - I will certainly heed them in the future.  I hope that
continuing to use the Fedora packaged version doesn't preclude any
further advice.

>> I've got what looks like a proper context in
>> /usr/share/tomcat5/server/webapps/manager/manager.xml:
>>

> That one is just a copy of the real one, left there during packaging of the source.
The <Context> element for the manager app should be in /usr/share/tomcat5/conf/Catalina/localhost/manager.xml;
if it's not there, you have a bad installation.

A 'bad' installation?  You mean, the whole install is fubar'ed or just
needs some adjusting?  The phrasing makes the situation sound pretty
dire.  The /usr/share/tomcat5/conf/Catalina/localhost/ directory is
empty.  I'm not too terribly versed with regards to Tomcat, but I am
eager to learn, so I took your advice below and read the fine manual.  I
did find reference describing how to add an instance of the Manager web
app Context to hosts at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/manager-howto.html#Introduction

>> I also tried editing the context to list a path (I set
>> it to path="/manager")
>>

> Don't ever do that; it's illegal to have a path in a <Context> element unless the
<Context> element is inside server.xml - which it should never be, in this day and age.
 Read the doc:
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html

Really?  The docs seem to disagree:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/manager-howto.html#Introduction
indicates I can use that in manager.xml as well.

But, thanks for pointing me to the docs - I did solve my problem by
adding the manager.xml to the localhost directory in the Catalina directory.

Respectfully,
Ryan