tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ryan Steele <>
Subject Status and Tomcat Manager links result in 404's
Date Wed, 28 May 2008 18:30:08 GMT
Hey list,

I've got a Tomcat 5.5.25 installation up and running for the most part.
However, on the index.jsp on the main page (,
the "Status" and "Tomcat Manager" links both result in 404's.

My Tomcat/Catalina home is /usr/share/tomcat5.  My main webapps folder
is in /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps, and the admin/manager/host-manager
apps are in /usr/share/tomcat5/server/webapps.  But, I always get the
404 "The requested resource (/manager/html) is not available."  Just for
kicks, I also tried manually entering /server/manager/html as the URI,
but it failed similarly.

I have added a role in my /usr/share/tomcat5/conf/tomcat-users.xml so
that users can authenticate as an admin to that area, but I don't even
get the prompt for credentials.  I've got what looks like a proper
context in /usr/share/tomcat5/server/webapps/manager/manager.xml:

<Context docBase="${catalina.home}/server/webapps/manager"
         privileged="true" antiResourceLocking="false"

  <!-- Link to the user database we will get roles from -->
  <ResourceLink name="users" global="UserDatabase"

I also tried editing the context to list a path (I set it to
path="/manager") ...but alas, I'm still stuck with 404's.  I don't see
anything in the logs when this happens.  Has anybody seen this before,
and perhaps does anyone have any insight as to where I'm zigging where I
should be zagging?

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: