tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: The type <. . .> is not visible
Date Fri, 23 May 2008 20:31:33 GMT
Chris

Actually if you look at the link the OP provided you can see where he
was coming from/ going to... (sort of)

> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/browse_thread/thread/d739a953735e0beb/62a82237e403ab76?lnk=raot

He seems to be doing an experiment to try and do something that is much
more easily done in many other ways. I think from reading the comments
on the list he is a little confused as to what 'generics' actually are
in Java. I think the tomcat aspect of it appears to be that he thinks
that tomcat can't handle 'generic' classes. I don't know why.

Albrecht

Is your background in C++? You appear to be considering that generics
are similar to templates in C++. They are not. They are simply a compile
time convention in Java 5 and later to improve java's handling of typing
   when using classes in a polymorphic way. As mentioned in the thread
as above, compiled bytecode has no knowledge of the original generics.
For further information I suggest that you read the Java Language
Specification and the Java Virtual Machine spec both available on the
Sun website.

The JSP compiler in tomcat 5.5 and later supports generic classes
because it supports Java 5.

Regards

Alan