tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Manager Application (Tomcat 5.5.26)
Date Mon, 19 May 2008 18:40:37 GMT
The manager webapp provided by tomcat doesn't need installation -- it's
a part of tomcat already in the download distribution.  It's location
has changed slightly over time -- normally found in the webapps
directory, tomcat 5.5.x put it in server/webapps by default.  Regarding
the error below, there must have been a previous error in the logs from
when you started tomcat.  Could you look at that and post if necessary?

--David

Nuno Manuel Martins wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to install the manager application on Tomcat 5.5.26 (well, actually it comes
installed by default, I am just trying to make it work) and after I authenticate with a user
created in conf/tomcat-users.xml I get the following message

>HTTP Status 404 - Servlet HTMLManager is not available
>________________________________
>type Status report
>message Servlet HTMLManager is not available
>description The requested resource (Servlet HTMLManager is not available) is not available.
>
>I googled around but all I could find was recomentations to re-install the application
but this mostly relates to RPM installs or 3rd party software but I am using the source distribution
from the official site... however I did try to unpack the source again and overwrite the manager
application (still have the problem though).

>My server.xml has the following about this:
>
>  <GlobalNamingResources>
>  <Resource name="UserDatabase" auth="Container"
>              type="org.apache.catalina.UserDatabase"
>              description="User database that can be updated and saved"
>              factory="org.apache.catalina.users.MemoryUserDatabaseFactory"
>              pathname="conf/tomcat-users.xml" />
>  </GlobalNamingResources>
>[...]
>            <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm" resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
>                <Context path="/manager" docBase="/usr/local/tomcat-5.5.26/webapps/manager"
reloadable="true" crossContext="true"/>