tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tomás Tormo <>
Subject Re: *SPAM* Re: How to increase tomcat memory
Date Mon, 19 May 2008 16:29:51 GMT
Thank you very much for you answer. Because of I was in a hurry, I
examined the invocation of tomcat and I found that Tomcat was using
128mb of memory, so, obviously , the lines I added weren't working at
all... Then, I realized that the -Xmx128m argument was after a line
"-Djava.awt.headless=true", so I simply located that line (that can be
found in and changed the argument with -Xmx512m, and now my
applicattion is working perfectly :)

Anyway... does anybody know the correct way to do this? (or maybe, this
is the good one... :p )

Thank you again!

Alan Chaney escribió:
> You seem to be using linux. If you go:
> ps alx | grep java
> after you have started tomcat you should be able to find the
> invocation for tomcat. Please check to see whether or not the options
> you have specified below appear in that list and check very carefully
> that there is whitespace around the options. I would look for two
> things were I debugging this:
> 1. The option isn't being included in the tomcat java invocation
> 2. The option is corrupted (misspelt, incorrect spacing etc).
> Alan Chaney
> Tomás Tormo wrote:
>> Hi
>>    here it comes my question again... :D How to increase tomcat
>> memory? I'm getting "GC overhead limit exceeded".
>> I tried putting export JAVA_OPTS="-Xms256m -Xmx512m" in
>> file as well as putting CATALINA_OPTS="-server
>> -Xms256m -Xmx512m" in /etc/init.d/tomcat5.5 script file, but when I
>> go to tomcat administration webpage and list the server status I
>> always get "Max memory: 113.81 MB".
>> Thank you very much
> For additional commands, e-mail:

Un saludo,