tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Schönhaber <>
Subject How to make Tomcat 6.0.x load system classes from .class files?
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 13:31:08 GMT

I just fiddled around with the source of
I dimly remember that in Tomcat 5.x, after editing and rebuilding some
of Tomcat's classes, I just needed to drop the resulting .class file at
some special location and it was loaded instead of the .class file in
Tomcat's JARs.
After reading
> All unpacked classes and resources in $CATALINA_HOME/lib, as well as
> classes and resources in JAR files are made visible through this
> class loader.
it seems to me this should still be possible.
So I created $CATALINA_HOME/lib/org/apache/jasper/compiler and copied
the Validator* class files there. But AFAICT they are ignored by Tomcat.
I also preceded the value of common.loader in with
another directory where I put another copy of the class files. But they
are not picked up by Tomcat either.

What am I doing wrong?

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail: