tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alan Chaney <a...@compulsivecreative.com>
Subject Re: Redirect request to another Tomcat server
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 20:32:57 GMT
Liang

I don't understand what NIO has to do with it. The
response.sendRedirect() is part of the servlet spec and what type
connector you are using in Tomcat should have no effect on this. I'd
appreciate it if someone would correct me here if I am wrong. As a
matter of interest I use redirects extensively on tomcats with NIO, APR
and the standard  connector and they all work ok.

As Johnny K correctly observed and as its name implies it sends a
'redirect' 302 response to the browser. As also observed the 'session'
is a UNIQUE relationship between the server and the browser. I think it
would be helpful if the you actually clarified exactly the purpose of
redirecting from one tomcat instance to another.

On another point from the your earlier message you talk of a 'refused
session' being the reason for a redirect. AFAIKS a 'refused session' is
no session at all. Maybe a better way of putting it is refusing to start
a new session? Sending a redirect would allow a session to be created
between the browser and the 2nd server. But it does sound suspiciously
like load balancing to me... and of course there is the issue of making
sessions sticky. So I would agree with Johnny and others as below, use
something like mod_jk and a cluster.

Regards

Alan Chaney