tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Lyman <lb...@memach.com>
Subject Re: Help Requested: Sending file attachments greater than 4mb causes OOM errors
Date Wed, 14 May 2008 14:39:39 GMT
Thank you Peter, I forgot to add that I had set the parameters as follows:
"-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx1500m -Xms1500m"

The -D parameter was there before so I did not mess with it.. I had tried with and without
the -Xms parameter and did not see any difference in behavior.

Lyman

Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: Lyman [mailto:lbyrd@memach.com]
>> I increased the machine specs
>> from 64mb ram 500 mhz pII to a P4 1.3ghz 1gb ram.
>
> Java will only use the amount of RAM you tell it to, not the entire machine RAM.  It
defaults to a low value - probably 64Mbytes in your environment.  You'll need to add appropriate
statements to set Java's minimum and maximum heap memory to your Tomcat startup script.  From
memory (it's a long time since I used a non-Windows Tomcat) this comes down to adding something
like:

> export JAVA_OPTS=-Xms512m -Xmx768m
>
> to catalina.sh - if it already has JAVA_OPTS in there, just add those to the end.  You'll
need to tune them so you still have enough memory for the OS and any other services on the
box.