tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Few public ports w/many Tomcat instances
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 16:08:26 GMT
Mike Volk wrote:
> I'm a Java developer and reluctant/under-qualified server administrator
> formulating a strategy for transitioning two production web apps from
> Resin to Tomcat.
>
> I'm familiar with connecting multiple Resin instances to a single Apache
> instance, such that all of the Resin instances (on ports in the 808X
> range) are accessible via Apache on ports 80 and 443. I get the gist of
> how to do this using Tomcat behind Apache, and how to provide direct
> access to multiple instances of Tomcat standalone (without Apache) using
> the hostname in combination with the corresponding Tomcat instance's
> unique port number.
>
> Unfortunately, I must run multiple instances of Tomcat, I must run those
> instances on the same machine, and I cannot provide public access to
> that (production) machine on any ports other than 80 (http) and 443
> (https). Yes, both web apps use both http and https.
>
> Is there a better/faster/easier alternative to using Apache as a
> front-end "port proxy server" (via vhosts) for my multiple Tomcat
> instances? Tomcat alone appears to provide all the web server features I
> need, except for the aforementioned "port proxy" functionality. Perhaps
> a third instance of Tomcat could do that? Perhaps there is an even more
> elegant solution??

I'm not aware of any better solutions.

Apache does work quite well in this role.

That said, it would be nice if there was a Java replacement for Apache
in this infrastructure.  It could still use AJP as the communication
protocol and could be an instance of Tomcat or Glassfish or a special
web app as far as I'm concerned -- though ideally it would use NIO
rather than APR as having to build/maintain/distribute native code for
various platforms is the main issue with Apache as I see it.

--
Jess Holle