tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Once again, clear text passwords in context.xml files
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 15:37:04 GMT
it's a wasted effort, the one way it could be truly secure, was if
tomcat asked you for a key upon startup. this wouldn't work very well in
a 1000 tomcat instance server farm.

any other effort simply masks the problem, letting you think it is
secure, when it isn't.

what you should do is this
1. make sure tomcat runs as an account that can't login
2. make any file that contains secure information readonly, and readable
only by the tomcat user

if someone gets onto your machine as an super user, you have bigger
problem than the password being in clear text

Filip