tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <devli...@hanik.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat + NTLM + Heavy load + Default config = Failure
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 23:11:20 GMT
thanks for the info, sounds like the NTLM auth is not considering the
fact that keep alives are optional, and can be controlled by the server.
so it's really a problem with the client, not the server in this case.
but its good to know you found a workaround

Filip

Sanglard Fabien wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It seems Tomcat 6 will close a connection even tough the browser requested it to remain
open via a "Connection: Keep-Alive"
> header if the ration (usedThread/totalThread) > 0.75 (Is this meant to prevent outage
or DOS ?)

>  Http11Processor.java (line 778)
>
>  if (threadRatio > 75)=20
>  {
>           keepAliveLeft =3D 1;
>  }
>
> If this is documented, I was unable to find it .
>
> This feature was the source of an issue when my intranet
> application started to get popular and reached 10 millions hits a day.
>
> NTLM authentication handshake (which require 2 HTTP GET) was being terminated with a
"Connection: Close" header right away and no-one could access the application during very
busy hours.