tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Production Configuration
Date Tue, 06 May 2008 21:04:14 GMT
Hi,

I'm not sure if this will apply in your case, but I found that
offloading the mail to a second (relatively low spec as it happens)
local machine improved the mail output rate considerably - mailouts went
in about 1/4 of the previous time.

The local mail server was using CPU cycles and the servlet app using
lots of memory in our case - combined on one machine the overall load
rocketed and the web app seemed to suffer most.

Not exactly the answer you were looking for I guess, but tinkering with
the connector attributes didn't actually seem to make a great deal of
difference to us.

Peter Stavrinides wrote:
> Sorry I forgot to add:
>
>  <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3"
>      	connectionTimeout="20000"
>      	enableLookups="false"
>      	redirectPort="8443" maxThreads="300"/>
>
> We also run under SSL, which is taken care of by Apache.

out. The application is complex and connects to a large research database serving a number
large pages with reports, charts, data tables etc, which are generated dynamically from live
data... sessions tend to get quite large. My thinking is that I should be supporting in the
region of 200 to 300 sessions as a minimum.

> So given this setup, how should I configure the connector with regards to: maxThreads
and any other relevant attributes. I am thinking of about 300 threads? I would be grateful
for your advice.