tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [OT] RE: Seeking advice as to what platform/framework to use for developing a tourism/tourist attractions web site
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 15:33:07 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
>> Not using a framework isn't quite the same thing as not using
>> available packages and libraries.
>>

> Entirely true.  However, many (though not all) of the existing packages assume particular
frameworks.  If anyone wants a glimpse of a possible nightmare future where a system tries
to support multiple UI frameworks, look at Sakai - they have everything from Velocity to JSF
to RSF (Reasonable Server Faces, their version of JSF that's lighter weight) and 3-4 other
frameworks thrown in.  Now try adding functionality that cuts across tools written assuming
different frameworks....

>> I haven't looked because we don't use them, but
>> I'll bet there are plenty of 3rd party java library packages out there
>> to generate blogs, shopping carts and the like, so you don't have to
>> code them from scratch.
>>

> Plenty.
>
> My reading of the OP's message was that they were trying to make a choice between the
available systems rather than code from scratch - and that they hadn't decided (and didn't
particularly care) whether the whole thing was written in Java or PHP, as they weren't presently
a Web developer and would be learning on the job.  *For that purpose*, I'd suggest that picking
a system that does much of what one wants is the way to go.  I agree with others on the list
that *for other
Yes, I'd agree with that, if he's still making that fundamental of a
project decision.  I had interpreted the OP to mean he was going to be
working with java, but wasn't sure which (if any) framework to use
within that already-made decision.