tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [OT] RE: Seeking advice as to what platform/framework to use for developing a tourism/tourist attractions web site
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 14:39:40 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:
>> From: Lyallex [mailto:lyallex@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: Seeking advice as to what platform/framework to
>> use for developing a tourism/tourist attractions web site
>>
>> Greetings
>>
>> I guess given the lack of replies that most think this is too OT for
>> this list, well I suppose it is but I couldn't resist answering.
>>
>> "Don't Do It"
>>
>> That is, don't use any framework at all.
>>

> Many of the OP's requirements are for existing tools.  Blog, shopping cart and the like.
 Developing those from scratch is rather like gathering the coal, clay and iron ore to make
your own oven to smelt your own iron ore to make your own axe to cut down your own tree to
make your own log cabin.  You *can*, and you get a lot of satisfaction from it, but it's a
lot easier to spend less time working for someone else, then rent a house.  Sure, it might
not be quite what you'd build yourself... but you get most of what you want a *lot* quicker.

Not using a framework isn't quite the same thing as not using available
packages and libraries.  I haven't looked because we don't use them, but
I'll bet there are plenty of 3rd party java library packages out there
to generate blogs, shopping carts and the like, so you don't have to
code them from scratch.