tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: [OT] RE: Seeking advice as to what platform/framework to use for developing a tourism/tourist attractions web site
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 14:21:43 GMT
Peter's point is valid though... you could certainly build the site in
PHP for example and just drop in a bunch of pre-existing modules for a
shopping cart, blog, that sort of thing, then just write some basic PHP
pages to tie it all together.

For example, my web host has this Fantastico thing on their admin
interface where I can pick and choose PHP application just like those
mentioned... it automatically does the MySQL setup, creates the
directories, does all the required "installation", and a minute or so
later I have myself a blog, a shopping cart, whatever.  That gets
installed into my main site's directory structure, so all I'd need to do
then is some write some basic PHP to clump all those modules together
into some sort of coherent site.

If *that's* what the OP was looking for, then Peter's point is valid,
there's options besides coding it all from scratch.  It's only if
someone wants to code it all themselves that your (and my) points come
into play.

Frank

Frank W. Zammetti
Author of "Practical DWR 2 Projects"
   and "Practical JavaScript, DOM Scripting and Ajax Projects"
   and "Practical Ajax Projects With Java Technology"
   for info: apress.com/book/search?searchterm=zammetti&act=search
Java Web Parts - javawebparts.sourceforge.net
My "look ma, I have a blog too!" blog: zammetti.com/blog

Lyallex wrote:
> Peter
>
> Never suggested the OP develop carts and such like from scratch really did I.
>
> What I said was he should focus on learning the core APIs, that's a
> little different.
> Building your own business logic is a requirement whatever framework
> you use (or don't use). If you can tell me where to find reusable
> business logic then that will certainly save me time, I'd still want
> to know how it worked though so black boxes are useless.
>
> If, when you know the core you decide to rot your brain and spend
> frustrating days trying to configure some bloody minded framework then
> go for it, at least you'll have some idea where to look when it
> doesn't work (they NEVER work first time in my experience).
>
> Anyway OP, hope this little discussion has cleared things up for you :-))
>
> Cheers
> Lyallex
>

> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 2:48 PM, Peter Crowther
> <Peter.Crowther@melandra.com> wrote:
>>> From: Lyallex [mailto:lyallex@gmail.com]
>>  > Subject: Re: Seeking advice as to what platform/framework to
>>  > use for developing a tourism/tourist attractions web site
>>
>>  > Greetings
>>  >
>>  > I guess given the lack of replies that most think this is too OT for
>>  > this list, well I suppose it is but I couldn't resist answering.
>>  >
>>  > "Don't Do It"
>>  >
>>  > That is, don't use any framework at all.
>>
>>  Many of the OP's requirements are for existing tools.  Blog, shopping cart and the
like.  Developing those from scratch is rather like gathering the coal, clay and iron ore
to make your own oven to smelt your own iron ore to make your own axe to cut down your own
tree to make your own log cabin.  You *can*, and you get a lot of satisfaction from it, but
it's a lot easier to spend less time working for someone else, then rent a house.  Sure, it
might not be quite what you'd build yourself... but you get most of what you want a *lot*
quicker.

>>  So, to the OP, I'd say: compare the big systems that you mention.  Take a tour of
each.  Install a few.  You might spend a couple of weeks, maybe a couple of months doing this.
 Then pick one and go for it.  You'll have your system running - and customers using it -
while Lyallex is still building the data access layer for the no-framework one.