tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: Seeking advice as to what platform/framework to use for developing a tourism/tourist attractions web site
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 13:38:28 GMT
I actually agree with Lyallex quite strongly, I found very little value
in *any* of the frameworks out there today, and in fact I'm starting to
believe most of them are counterproductive.

However, that's not to say I think plain servlets and JSPs is the
absolute best answer either... since Ajax is one of the listed
requirements I would highly suggest looking at DWR.  I've found that
DWR, plus a good widget library on the client (ExtJS was my choice until
the recent licensing change) was all you need nowadays.  I tend to use
bits and pieces of Spring too, mostly Spring JDBC because I believe
straight JDBC is the right answer and Spring JDBC makes that better, but
I'll pick and choose other pieces as the needs come up.

But I think DWR is the key.  If you're developing a modern RIA, I don't
believe there is currently a better option.  The really great thing
about it is that it leads you quite naturally down a certain
architectural path: POJOs on the server, a simple RPC-like mid-tier
design, simple, logical coding on the front-end, etc.

I've been involved in a massively complex project at work the past two
years, one of the biggest success stories in my company's history
actually... we started off using Dojo for Ajax and Struts on the
server-side... that worked reasonably well... however, for the last 6-9
months we've been developing all the new capabilities in the application
with DWR replacing both of those, and it's a world of difference.  New
developers, some of which have little to no experience in Java web
development, are able to pick it up so much quicker, it's so much easier
to get things done initially, and troubleshooting is much easier because
there's simply less moving parts, and it simply *feels* simpler.  We've
been able to deal with changing requirements quickly and easily.  Being
able to see the two approaches in the same application really makes it
obvious which is better and why.

In fact, most of the newest functionality is done in what I consider the
holy grail of approaches: a single JSP design.  There's no longer this
"page-request-response-new page" cycle, it simply isn't necessary.  Yes,
you have to fully buy into this whole RIA thing, and you have to be
comfortable doing a lot in Javascript, but if you are I think this is
nearly a perfect way to do things.

That's just my opinion of course, I know many people don't agree.  All I
can say is I've got a ton of real-world experience with non-trivial
enterprise-class applications that support it.

Frank

P.S. - Is that your real name by the way Layallex?  If so, I've never
heard it before, but it's pretty cool!)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Author of "Practical DWR 2 Projects"