tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Russell <...@onlywebdata.com>
Subject Newbie: Tomcat LDAP Authentication
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 23:53:33 GMT
Hi,

I'm new to Tomcat though familiar with Apache, I'm trying to configure
Authentication to an LDAP server but I've missed a step somewhere.

 From the documentation for JNDIRealm at

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/realm-howto.html

0) I obtained ldap-1_2_4.zip from Sun Microsystems.

1) Copied ldap.jar and ldapsec.jar to $CATALINA_HOME/server/lib

2) modified ./conf/server.xml for https (successful)

3) modified ./conf/server.xml for JNDI

      <Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JNDIRealm" debug="99"
         connectionURL="ldap://192.168.16.179"
           userPattern="uid={0},ou=users,dc=mail,dc=owd,dc=net"
              roleBase="ou=groups,dc=mail,dc=owd,dc=net"
              roleName="cn"
              roleSearch="(memberUid={0})"/>

        <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.authenticator.SingleSignOn" />

4) modified conf/web.xml to enable security-constraint

    <security-constraint>
        <web-resource-collection>
            <web-resource-name>Authentication example</web-resource-
name>
            <url-pattern>/java-authentication/</url-pattern>
        </web-resource-collection>
        <auth-constraint>
            <role-name>owd</role-name>
        </auth-constraint>
    </security-constraint>
    <login-config>
        <auth-method>FORM</auth-method>
        <form-login-config>
            <form-login-page>/java-authentication/login</form-login-
page>
            <form-error-page>/java-authentication/login-error</form-
error-page>
        </form-login-config>
    </login-config>
    <security-role>
        <role-name>owd</role-name>
    </security-role>

 From what I have read this should work but there is no popup prompt for
username and password when accessing the tomcat served pages suggesting
that no attempt to authenticate is being made.

The system is Fedora Core 6 Linux.

Thank you,
John Russell.