tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Lists <li...@dankeeley.co.uk>
Subject Re: CPU usage quirk with multiple tomcat instances
Date Fri, 02 May 2008 15:05:55 GMT
> My guess (and that's all it is) is that you have eliminated much of the
> context-switching overhead that two instances would have compared to one.

Ah I see.  I guess i can look at that with mpstat and look at things like
thread migrations etc.  Important because if we install more CPU's i guess
that may mitigate the context switching overhead.  Or maybe we can gain
performance by tying zones to one or two cpu's.

> What is this cpu (type and speed) compared to the others?  If it's a
> slower or less-capable (no numeric coprocessor, etc) cpu, the same load
> would be a high percentage of its capability.

Opteron 254 vs 252.  So 0.2ghz less but afaik no other difference.  Not
enough of a difference to account for the additional cpu.  so this box uses
80% cpu vs 30% on the other one for the same load.  the only other diff in
the box is that the better one is a Sun M2 X4100 rather than just a plain
X4100 - the only difference between those seem to be DDR2.