tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Stront <mattpub...@strontiumdog.net>
Subject Load Balnce and failover for Tomcat
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 12:38:22 GMT

I need to load balance (but not cluster) a collection of Tomcats.

We have existing load balancers/failover that can probe with an HTTP
requests to see if a service is up. However out Tomcats have a number of
webapps on and the start-up/shotdown can take quite a few minutes, so the
failover isn't quite working.

I want to create a servlet that report whther the Tomcat it is running in if
fully operational. Amongst other checks the servelt needs to know

1. That the server is not in the a startup, shutdown stage in it lifecycle.
2. That all of the webapps are running.

Stage 1 can be achieved by a creating a LifecycleListener but 2 cannot. Can
MBeans provide the ability to do both? If so how? I can find precious little
docu on Tomcat's MBeans.

Thanks.