tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Lizard Lizard" <mrliz...@gmail.com>
Subject N00b Installation Question
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 16:02:31 GMT
Greetings!

I am trying to setup/configure Tomcat 6.0 under Vista. I am mostly
following the examples in the Eclipse Cookbook.

Tomcat is running; I get the appropriate startup page when I go to
localhost:8080

However, I cannot get my first example to work properly. Here's all of
the relevant data:

This is the directory structure:

C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
6.0\webapps\VARiskWork\WEB-INF
In "classes", I have a folder called ExtenXLSTestbed. In that is a
file called ServletClass.class.
The class is in package ExtenXLSTestbed.

Here is my web.xml file, which is located in C:\Program Files\Apache
Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\webapps\VARiskWork\WEB-INF:

<!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, INc.//DTD Web
Application 2.3//EN"

<web-app>
	<display-name>Example Application</display-name>
	<servlet>
		<servlet-name>Servlet</servlet-name>
		<servlet-class>extenXLSTestbed.ServletClass</servlet-class>
	</servlet>
	<servlet-mapping>
		<servlet-name>Servlet</servlet-name>
		<url-pattern>/ServletClass</url-pattern>
	</servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

What am I missing? I'm sure it's painfully obvious, but I've wasted 2
hours now staring at "Resource not found" and looking for typos/case
sensitivity issues.

I have tried several variants on the URL, including
http://localhost:8080/VARiskWork/extenXLSTestbed.ServletClass
and
http://localhost:8080/VARiskWork/ServletClass
and
http://localhost:8080/ServletClass

all produce 'resource not found' errors.

Thanks in advance for any help.