tomcat-users mailing list archives

From fr...@fritid.as
Subject Re: Deleting context xml files - I have the same...
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 05:45:27 GMT

I have the same, except I have only one context pr virtual server, and uses the war-file as
the root-app in each.
When I replace a war-file, the context-files for the other root-apps is deleted - each time.
But the context-file for
the replaced war-file is left untouched.'
I use 6.0.16 on jvm 1.6.0_01-b06 on Mandriva.

/Frode

             "Albert Wold" <alwold@asu.edu>

             02.04.2008 01:39
                                                         <users@tomcat.apache.org>

                           cc
                      Please respond to

                     "Tomcat Users List"
                      Subject
                  <users@tomcat.apache.org>              Deleting context xml files

Hello,

Recently I have been using per-context XML files in
/usr/local/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost to define environment specific
information for my webapps.  That way, when I move a war file through
the cycle of dev/qa/production, I can be sure that I'm running the same
code, and don't have to fiddle with settings inside the war file.

I'm not sure when it started happening, but during development it seems
that tomcat is deleting the context xml files at seemingly random times.
I think it has something to do with the undeploy/redeploy process that
happens when the war file changes.  It seems particularly common when
there is a startup error in my app, but it is always when something in
the webapp changes.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I have been
using tomcat 6.0.14, but I just upgraded to 6.0.16 to see if that helps.

Basically, I'm wondering if I'm doing something against proper practice
right now that is causing this or if there is some sort of bug in
tomcat.  I am using maven, so I have less control (probably partly
because I a haven't figured it out fully yet) over the copying of files
than I did with ant and I'd be interested to hear what other people are
doing for dev deployment when using context xml files.

-Al