tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <>
Subject RE: Why does Tomcat become slow during weekends?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:18:14 GMT
> From: murthy gandikota []
> Peter Crowther <> wrote:    >
> From: murthy gandikota []
> > We have a website based on embedded Tomcat with Jboss 4.0.2.
> > We noticed that every weekend the Tomcat becomes sluggish.
>   There is no other system maintenance more than what I have
> mentioned. The Tomcat runs on a physical server. Heard a
> virtual server will be even slower.

Generally yes.  If it was on a virtual server, I'd have suggested that another virtual server
on the same host might have been hogging resources - but that's not an option.

My next suggestion is to look for the gross cause of the slowdown.  Performance Monitor (on
Windows) or top / vmstat (on UNIX) and see whether you're short of memory, CPU or disk bandwidth
when the system goes slow.  If one of those is the problem, the next step is to narrow down
which process is the memory, CPU or I/O hog and find out why it only happens at weekends.
 If you're not short of any of those, the next step would probably be to look at your database
server and try to work out whether that's somehow causing the slowdown.

                - Peter

To start a new topic, e-mail:
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: