tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Why does Tomcat become slow during weekends?
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:05:12 GMT
> From: murthy gandikota [mailto:murthy_gandikota@yahoo.com]
> We have a website based on embedded Tomcat with Jboss 4.0.2.
> We noticed that every weekend the Tomcat becomes sluggish.

Backups?  Congestion on the network due to a site that's only accessed heavily at weekends?

> We theorized that JVM is busy with garbage collection.
> Is that realistic?

No.  The JVM collects garbage at intervals measured in seconds or minutes, and takes milliseconds
or seconds.  It also doesn't know about weekends :-).

> Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'd guess system maintenance of some kind.  Is this on a physical server or a virtual one?

                - Peter