tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <Peter.Crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject RE: Are there issues with running multiple instances of tomcat?
Date Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:12:35 GMT

That sounds like classic FUD unless the person concerned can back it up.  Who's trying to
pass the buck for a problem?  The vendor or the in-house dev team? :-)

>  Is this true? I was under the impression that since they are
> in their own
> JVM's neither tomcat would have any affect on the other. If
> there are issues in what form may they take place?

They'll compete for resources (notably disk i/o and the overall system cache), but I'm not
aware of any other issues.  I've seen one big production site run with three load-balanced
Tomcats on one (big!) box, simply so that the organisation could restart one Tomcat instance
at a time for upgrades.  I've not heard of any resulting instability or issues, but the standard
disclaimer applies - it ain't my site, so I may not have heard everything!

                - Peter