tomcat-users mailing list archives

Subject Tomcat 6 DIGEST auth
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:05:53 GMT
I've read this doc:

But I cannot get it to authenticate.

I'm putting the digested password for myusers into tomcat-users.xml as

One problem is that it's not at all clear what the realm is--

Is the realm the <realm-name> specified in the <login-config> in
web.xml? (eg "Tomcat Manager Application")  Or something else?  The
docs (link above) suggest "localhost:80" might be the realm, but that
makes no sense to me, as this would tie it to a specific port.

     <realm-name>Tomcat Manager Application</realm-name>

The book I have -- "Tomcat, The Definitive Guide, 2nd Edition" is in
conflict with the above documentation, making no mention of digesting
with the username and realm.  The book suggest doing:
bin/ -a MD5 user-password

But the tomcat 6 docs referenced above suggest doing:
bin/ -a MD5 username:realm-name:password

--obviously very different approaches!

Lloyd Chambers

[Mac OS X 10.5.2 Intel, Tomcat 6.0.16]

To start a new topic, e-mail: