tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Larry Prikockis <lprikoc...@vecna.com>
Subject Re: httpd SSL -> Tomcat VS. Tomcat SSL standalone?
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:37:59 GMT
Yuval Perlov wrote:
> Out tomcat servers are handling around 30K SSL hits every 5 minutes with
> very little effort (10% cpu average on a dual core machine, good
> response time).
> We tried to put in httpd in front thinking we can squeeze out better
> performance and memory consumption.
> The system just couldn't handle the load and we had to roll back
> (quickly) to a tomcat only configuration.

hmmm... that sounds suspiciously similar to what we had happening.  I
just can't see why Apache Httpd wouldn't be able to handle SSL
connections at least as well as Tomcat, so there's clearly something
else going on here.

Is your system on Windows, Linux, something else?   And what versions of
Tomcat/Apache were you using?