tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Smith <d...@cornell.edu>
Subject Re: Where to define Context element...
Date Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:33:05 GMT
> The Tomcat documentation lists several different places that you can
> define a Context element. I don't want to define it in my app's web.xml
Neither should you. Web.xml has its own purpose defined by the servlet spec.

> My web app is in a war called mytest.war, which I deployed to
> $CATALINA_HOME/webapps. My web.xml has the following elements:
You'll have to add a resource-ref block to this.  See the tomcat JDBC
howto docs for details.  Otherwise it looks good.

> <Context path="/mytest" docBase="mytest"
>         debug="5" reloadable="true" crossContext="true">
Drop the path and docBase attributes. They are at best duplicate of
information tomcat can glean from other sources. You can also put this
in a file named context.xml in the META-INF directory of your war file.

>   <Resource name="jdbc/mytest" auth="Container"
> type="javax.sql.DataSource"
>                maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
>                username="javauser" password="javadude"
> driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
>
> url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mytest?autoReconnect=true"/>
Drop autoReconnect=true and replace it with a new attribute
validationQuery="select 1" on the Resource element. It'll handle stale
connections much better.

--David